Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pie #3: Turkey Day!

No, I didn't make a turkey pie. I made a pie to share with my family on Turkey Day. While it wasn't on my original list, I decided to make a dark chocolate pecan pie for the occasion. (I bought the ingredients for pumpkin pie in case I needed a plan B, though!)

This pie called for a pre-baked (or blind-baked) single crust. As recommended by America's Test Kitchen, I covered the uncooked crust with two layers of foil to prevent the edges from burning, and I "filled" the middle to keep the sides from slumping in the heat. Some people fill the middle with actual pie weights, but rice, dried beans, and pennies (unsanitary?) work, too. I don't own pie weights - and they seem like a rather superfluous kitchen item anyway - so I used white rice.


The crust bunched up in one spot, but it worked for the most part. Perhaps more rice would have done the trick.

The real filling was supposed to be added while the crust was still warm, so I didn't have time to dillydally. First, I combined melted butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and light corn syrup. To prevent the sugar from caramelizing, ATK told me to heat the mixture in a metal bowl placed in a frying pan of simmering water. I think I did this correctly, but I may have stirred too vigorously as a layer of foam formed at the top. Oh well! Next came the toasted pecans and chunks of dark chocolate just in time to be poured into the crust and popped in the oven.


As this was my first official pie gig, I was anxious about dessert time. I didn't get a chance to sample it first myself as I have with other pies, but it seemed to go over well. It was a bit too sweet for me so I don't know if this recipe is a keeper, but I'm still glad I made it.

The best part, really, was the fact that Mom didn't have to make dessert or any part of the meal this year; all the kiddos chipped in, and Dad took care of the turkey. There is much to be thankful for. Happy belated Thanksgiving, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment